Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Chin State Gov’t Postpones Hakha House Demolition Plans

    Chin State Gov’t Postpones Hakha House Demolition Plans

    0
    By Editor on August 13, 2019 News

    The government of Chin State has decided to postpone its plans to start demolishing unregistered homes in an area slated for development in the state capital Hakha after Christian religious leaders stepped in to mediate in the dispute.

    “We were going to start carrying out our house demolition plan on August 9, but Christian pastors came to discuss the matter with our chief minister, so we have postponed our plan until August 19,” Soe Htet, Chin State’s minister for municipal affairs, told Khonumthung News.

    The state government has been warning the owners of the unregistered homes for months that they would not be allowed to remain in the new Hakha city project area, which is situated on 676 acres of land near a golf course on the Hakha-Thantlang highway. They were told to tear down the houses themselves or face forcible demolition by the government.

    According to the government, there were just eight houses in the project area when it began, but that number increased to 135 after the construction of a new road. Soe Htet has accused unscrupulous “brokers” of selling land that they don’t own.

    The owners of the houses claim, however, that the project is built on inherited land and therefore not subject to Burma’s controversial Vacant, Fallow and Virgin Lands Management Law, which many say is being used to dispossess the rightful owners of land around the country.

    The homeowners say that the government did not consult with them before seizing the project area, and so have refused to vacate the land.

    On July 31, about 70 people demonstrated in Hakha against the state government after it issued a threat to demolish the unregistered houses.

    SEO KEYWORDS: land, development, VFV, Hakha

    FACEBOOK: The owners of unregistered houses built on land slated for a city development project get a 10-day reprieve after pastors intervene.

    TWITTER: The #ChinState government postpones plans to demolish unregistered houses after #pastors step in to mediate. #Hakha #VFV #Burma #Myanmar

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.