Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Burma Army Air Strike Kills Seven Civilians in Paletwa

    Burma Army Air Strike Kills Seven Civilians in Paletwa

    0
    By Editor on April 9, 2020 News

    At least seven civilians were killed and eight injured in an air attack by the Burma Army on a village in southern Chin State’s Paletwa Township on Tuesday, a local parliamentarian said.

    The strike followed clashes between government forces and the Arakan Army, and hit the village of Nang Chaungwa, located 10 miles from Paletwa town on the Paletwa-Kyauktaw road, which has been closed. The Burma Army’s combat helicopters reportedly dropped bombs on the community between 3:00 and 5:00 p.m.

    “Seven villagers were killed on the spot. Eight villagers were injured in the air attack. Some houses were burned down,” parliamentarian Salai Myo Htet told Khonumthung News of the 40-household community of Nang Chaungwa. “The injured people were transferred to Paletwa. Two villagers are in critical condition.”

    He added that the two victims who were seriously injured were moved to Mindat public hospital through the towns of Sami and Matupi.

    The airstrike is the second by the Burma Army on Paletwa villages in just over one week. At least two villagers were injured and 13 homes were burned in an attack on Bawngwa village on March 31.

    At least 21 civilians were killed in another Burma Army air attack on multiple villages in Paletwa on March 14 and 15.

    The UN Secretary-General António Guterres made a global appeal for a ceasefire in conflict areas on March 30, so the focus can be on fighting the current COVID-19 pandemic. Ethnic armed organizations across Burma have reiterated the need for a ceasefire nationwide, but the Burma Army has thus far rejected the demands.

    Clashes continue to intensify between government troops and the AA, with an estimated 150,000 civilians displaced in southern Chin State and northern Rakhine State since 2018.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.