Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Electoral Candidates Report Difficulties Attempting to Campaign in Paletwa

    Electoral Candidates Report Difficulties Attempting to Campaign in Paletwa

    0
    By Editor on September 25, 2020 News

    Electoral candidates have said that they have faced difficulties launching campaigns in southern Chin State’s Paletwa Township due to ongoing regional stability as clashes continue between the Burma Army and Arakan Army (AA).

    Soe Htet, Chin State’s current municipal minister and a National League for Democracy electoral candidate for Paletwa’s Constituency 1, said that even though he’s been able to start campaigning in downtown Paletwa and nearby villages, he’s unable to travel to communities in more remote areas of the township, such as those near the borders with Bangladesh and India.

    “It’s difficult to go there. The Union Election Commission already announced that the election will take place, so we have to try [to campaign],” he told Khonumthung News.

    The AA reportedly launched an attack on a delegation including Soe Htet as they traveled along the Kaladan River on September 9. Government security forces and the AA then exchanged gunfire for 30 minutes.

    Salai Kwe Yan, an election candidate with the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP), said that all roads were being closed off because of the fighting, making travel and communication even more difficult.

    “It’s difficult to communicate with the respective election commissions. We cannot send letters from here. All vehicle roads remain closed, so we can only use the phone for communication,” he explained. “We cannot travel across Paletwa Township. We can only go to some places which are safe to go to. We can not go to unsafe places. We cannot reach every village in Paletwa Township for the election campaign.”

    On September 1, the Brotherhood Alliance of ethnic armed organizations, comprised of the AA, the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army and the Ta’ang National Liberation Army, released a joint statement extending their declaration of a unilateral ceasefire until November 9, citing the 2020 general election on November 8 as the reason.

    The Burma Army also extended their own unilateral ceasefire declaration throughout the country until September 30, except in regions where “terrorist” organizations are active. The move was likely intended to exclude areas where they have fought the AA—including Paletwa, Chin State—since the government declared the AA a terrorist organization earlier this year.

    A total of 24 electoral candidates from six political parties will run to represent Paletwa Township in the coming general election.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.