Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Kanpetlet Residents Flee Before Tatmadaw Offensives

    Kanpetlet Residents Flee Before Tatmadaw Offensives

    0
    By Editor on October 12, 2021 News

    Most Kanpetlet residents fled the town after the Tatmadaw announced military operations in all nine townships in Chin State.

    Earlier this month, many had started running for safety, a source said, suggesting that no more than 1,000 of the town’s 25,000 residents remained. “People here live in constant fear. Everything is uncertain and clashes can happen at any time,” the man said.

    The Burma Army (BA), which is fighting with the Chinland Defence Force (CDF) in Kanpetlet Township and the other eight townships in the state, announced it would carry out the military operation on 25 September.

    Last month, there were two clashes between the CDF and BA, in which the BA attacked villages with artillery and destroyed several houses. Villagers sought refuge in their farms, in the nearby mountains or in remote villages. Some villagers and residents of Kanpetlet town fled to Hsaw in Magwe Region, which is about 19 km from the town.

    “Even though there have been no clashes in Kanpetlet recently, we feel unsafe here. People don’t dare to go out on the streets after 6pm. Some houses in the town have been burglarized,” another male source from the town in southern Chin State told Khonumthung News.

    To buy essentials like rice, salt, fish paste and cooking oil, they need a letter from the government’s General Administration Development office, he said. They fear they’ll soon run out of food.

    On 23 September, the ruling State Administrative Council, which is controlled by the military, shut down internet services in Chin State.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    BNRA leader Bo Nagar defects to junta

    Protests erupt in Tamu Township villages over forced conscription

    Junta kills nearly 1,200 Chin people since coup, including almost 500 youths

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.