Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Chin Refugees in India ‘Starving’ Under Coronavirus Lockdown

    Chin Refugees in India ‘Starving’ Under Coronavirus Lockdown

    0
    By Editor on April 6, 2020 News

    Chin refugees in India say that they are facing severe food shortages following a nationwide lockdown imposed by the government in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

    The lockdown has been in place since March 24.

    Salai Cung Dawt, who is in charge of the Chin Human Rights Organization (CHRO), said that donors have contributed 14 bags of rice to assist refugees who are struggling to find food.

    Chin Refugees in New Delhi, India.

    “Thirty-one people from 11 families have nothing to eat. They told me they are starving. I wrote about it on my social media page. Some people living in New Delhi contributed donations, so we got 14 bags of rice for them,” he told Khonumthung News.

    Non-governmental organizations have not been helping the Chin refugees, the CHRO head added, but the UN refugee agency in New Delhi has pledged support.

    “Some Chin refugees haven’t had rice to cook in recent days. The UN agency has pledged to help these refugees. They are collecting a list of the refugee population,” Salai Cung Dawt said.

    There are around 500 families who have said that they need support.

    Nearly 3,000 Chin refugees are registered with the UNHCR in New Delhi, and the majority of them have UN-recognized refugee status documentation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.