Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Farmers Refuse to Move for Dam Project

    Farmers Refuse to Move for Dam Project

    0
    By Editor on November 26, 2020 News

    Farmers are angry with the government because of plans to build a dam to divert water to Chin State’s capital, Hakha because it will inundate their farms if it is completed.

    A November 24 statement by the farmers in the Nawi Valley said if the project goes ahead without their consent, the Chin State government will be seen as a “dictatorship”. Farmers say they refuse to be forced off the land they’ve been cultivating since 1920, and have already demonstrated their opposition to the dam.

    The Chin State government estimates the Nawi Dam Project, planned at the confluence of three rivers, about a mile from the capital, will cost 2,000 million kyats ($154K). Construction is expected to start in January 2021 and take three years to complete.

    Fer Chin Sung, a farmer from Nawi Valley, told Khonumthung News that Zo Bwi, the speaker for Chin State Parliament and other leaders, came to her home to invite her to come to his office. “I knew they wanted to pay me compensation for my agreement on the project, and that’s why I didn’t go.”

    “Some farmers who were threatened to take money or lose their farms agreed to take compensation. But many farmers haven’t accepted compensation for their farmland.”

    In the statement, farmers said they have too much to lose by accepting the deal. For decades, they grew rice, grazed livestock and established fishing ponds on the land.

    Ko Andrew Tha Tuang, from Myanmar Alliance for Transparency and Accountabilities (MATA) in Chin State, said because Burma adopted the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples in 2003, the government must inform locals about the impacts of a “regional development project” and get their agreement before construction commences. “I don’t see that the Chin state government has done that.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.