Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Fighting Intensifies in Southern Chin State Town

    Fighting Intensifies in Southern Chin State Town

    0
    By Editor on May 16, 2021 News

    Burma Army continued its assault on Mindat, firing at least 15 rounds into the southern Chin State town guarded by Chin Defense Force (CDF) on Saturday morning, May 15.

    The latest shelling comes after six helicopters arrived the same day, delivering fresh troops and weapons to the military’s Battalion-274.

    “They attacked Mindat town with artillery; shells landed near a pagoda and High School No-3. People are hiding in their homes,” a man from Mindat told Khonumthung News.

    A Burma Army unit is deployed in Na-Ta-La School west of town, and a military column is on route to a Four-mile Buddhist monastery.

    A fragile ceasefire with Mindat People’s Administration expired on May 12, after the military refused to release all five youths it detained.

    Mindat People’s Administration merged with CDF. The former was the first civilian group in Mindat to take up arms against the regime while the latter established chapters across Chin State.

    According to a Mindat People’s Administration representative, the army said it would only release four youths if they allowed a military convoy to come to Mindat from Sami town, located in Paletwa Township.

    About 20 Burma Army soldiers were killed during clashes with Mindat People’s Administration last month, according to the civilian group, which started after the military council arrested 12 youths. After authorities released seven of them, the ceasefire was brokered.

    Since fighting resumed, the military has been pounding the town with artillery and recently brought in a combat helicopter.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    BNRA leader Bo Nagar defects to junta

    Protests erupt in Tamu Township villages over forced conscription

    Junta kills nearly 1,200 Chin people since coup, including almost 500 youths

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.