Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Kanpetlet CSOs Call for Legal Action Against Police Officer Accused of Rape

    Kanpetlet CSOs Call for Legal Action Against Police Officer Accused of Rape

    0
    By Editor on October 17, 2020 News

    Civil society organizations (CSOs) in Kanpetlet town, Chin State, released a statement this week calling for a case to be opened against a police officer accused of raping a 17-year-old girl.

    The police officer from Myoma police station allegedly committed the rape on September 13.

    Kee Bu, who is working with the Khonumthung Regional Development Organization, said that the police station did not immediately bring charges against the officer in question, despite the fact that he was named by the victim as the perpetrator.

    “This is a child rape case. They didn’t immediately open the case. They tried to negotiate around the case by offering compensation,” Kee Bu told Khonumthung News, referring to the local police. “A policeman committed child rape. I don’t think the police want to work in line with the law.”

    In the local CSOs’ joint statement released on October 14, the signatories said they were concerned about human security and the rule of law in Kanpetlet Township after seeing how the allegations of rape were handled by the authorities.

    “The police tried to give 300,000 kyats (US$230) as compensation. Her relatives didn’t accept the negotiations. Then the police tried to give 500,000 kyats ($384) as compensation,” Kee Bu said. “Actually, they didn’t pay the 500,000 kyats at the end of the month. The police said that it was difficult to find evidence. Even though you open a file, it does not change anything.”

    The CSOs in Kanpetlet have demanded government officials charge the police in the town with violating the Child Protection Law.

    The Kanpetlet Town Women’s Organization assisted the rape survivor in opening a file on the crime at the Myoma police station on October 14.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.