Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Military Blocks Aid From Reaching Thousands Of Chin IDPs in Mindat

    Military Blocks Aid From Reaching Thousands Of Chin IDPs in Mindat

    0
    By Editor on July 23, 2021 News

    The military has prevented the United Nations High Commissioners for Refugees (UNHCR) from providing vital assistance to the majority of civilians displaced after the Burma Army laid siege to the town of Mindat in May, and during the fighting that ensued with Chinland Defence Force in the weeks that followed.

    When UNHCR representatives arrived in the small, mountain town in southern Chin State this Monday, the military informed them they could only help internally displaced persons (IDPs) who are living in the 10 camps in Mindat sanctioned by the regime, and not in camps in Mindat Township, where most of the IDPs live.

    As many as 30,000 IDPs live in 10 to 12 camps located in areas of the township outside of the military regime’s control. Since the army took Mindat town, it has targeted groups and individuals attempting to deliver relief to the beleaguered camps.

    “The UNHCR is not allowed to help IDPs living in remote villages and jungle; it is also prohibited from travelling to these areas,” an elder in Mindat told Khonumthung News.

    A representative from the IDP committee in Mindat explained there are 10 camps in the town, however, residents from 5 of these camps have already returned home. Since the military is also preventing UNHCR from helping these civilians, there were only 5 camps that received support.

    The elder said that aid distribution to about 500 people or 66 families in the 5 camps began on Tuesday, July 20. The UNHCR donated tarps, mosquito netting, mats, blankets, solar lamps and pots and kitchenware. Since the UN agency brought supplies to give to 5,000 IDPs, it is unclear what it did with the leftover items, which the military prevented from being donated to families outside the town.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    BNRA leader Bo Nagar defects to junta

    Protests erupt in Tamu Township villages over forced conscription

    Junta kills nearly 1,200 Chin people since coup, including almost 500 youths

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.