Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Protesting Chin Leaders Frustrated by UNHCR’s Silence

    Protesting Chin Leaders Frustrated by UNHCR’s Silence

    0
    By Editor on January 22, 2019 News

    Despite days of protests outside the New Delhi office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Chin leaders say that they yet to receive a response from the agency regarding concerns about the community’s refugee status.

    Chin refugees demonstrated in front of the UNHCR office from January 16-18 last week, with more than 400 people participating on the final day of demonstrations. They are now debating whether to continue the protest this week.

    “We demonstrated for three consecutive days. We don’t know whether it was successful, because we haven’t gotten updated information,” Chin Refugee Committee chairperson Remmawi told Khonumthung News.

    The protesters were demanding a change to the UNHCR’s 2018 decision on Chin refugee affairs to no longer grant refugee status or resettlement rights to those from Chin State, declaring the area to no longer be an active conflict zone.

    Chin organizations based in New Delhi released a statement last week asking the UN to extend the expiration date of refugee registration cards for members of the Chin community if they have undergone an interview with officials. Currently the cards can only be extended through a second such interview.

    The organizations also urged the UNHCR to publicly state that Chin refugees still need protection from the international community.

    “As of now, we haven’t gotten good news,” Remmawi said, adding that the Chin community’s statement had been given to a UNHCR official. “They haven’t replied to us. We have to wait, standing in front of the UNHCR office.”

    Chin Human Rights Organization’s office in-charge Salai Cung Dawt said that they planned to continue demonstrations until they receive a response from the UN. “We cannot say whether our demonstration is effective or not, because we have had to hold a silent demonstration, not like the demonstrations we held in the past,” he explained, regarding the legal restrictions the protesters were under.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.