Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Veteran Chin Politician Won’t Contest Election

    Veteran Chin Politician Won’t Contest Election

    0
    By Editor on July 14, 2020 News

    A veteran Chin politician has announced he won’t contest the upcoming elections, leaving behind many colorful decades in politics.

    Pu Cin Shin Thang, the chair of Zomi Congress for Democracy (ZCD) won’t run in the 2020 general election, says General Secretary Pu Gin Kam Lian.

    “He’s over 80 years old,” Pu Gin Kam Lian says, and ready to retire from politics.

    Pu Cin Shin Thang, 82, secured a parliamentary seat for Tedim Township during the 2015 general election.

    During the 1990 general election, Pu Cin Shin Thang led the Zomi National Congress Party (ZNC) to a victory in Tedim Township. But in 1992, the military regime forced ZNC to disband.

    After reforming, the ZNC tried to contest the 2012 by-elections. But the government refused unless it dropped ‘National’ from its name, so it registered as ZCD with the Union Election Commission.

    The ZCD contested the 2015 election, winning six seats in Chin State, securing Pu Cin Shin Thang a ministerial position.

    During the 2020 general election on November 8, Pu Gin Kam Lian said the ZCD plans to contest 11 constituencies in Tedim and Tonzang townships in Chin State and Tamu and Kalay townships in Sagaing Region.

    Under the leadership of T. Gougin and S. K. Samtehe, ZNC  formed in 1972 to unify the Zomi people living in Burma and India. In 1988, the party held the first World Zomi Convention in India’s Mizoram State. The same year, after the 8888 Uprising in Burma, ZNC was allowed to register as a political organization.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    CDF-Paletwa bars Chin youths from leaving Paletwa Township

    Junta launches heavy airstrike on Kanpetlet

    Junta offensive from Taingen to Falam sparks fierce clashes

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.