Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Khonumthung Media Group
    Leaderboard Ad
    • Home
    • Journal
    • About Us
    • ျမန္မာစာမ်က္ႏွာ
    Khonumthung Media Group
    You are at:Home»News»Protests erupt in Tamu Township villages over forced conscription

    Protests erupt in Tamu Township villages over forced conscription

    0
    By Editor on February 18, 2026 News

    More than 200 residents from several villages in Tamu Township, Sagaing Region, gathered to protest against forced conscription.

    Residents of Bokekan, Minthamee and Zeehpyukone villages began protesting on February 15, and on February 16, about 250 villagers from Malu, Zeehpyukone, Aukthaung, Ywathar, Minthamee and Bokekan gathered in Bokekan and marched along the Asia Highway in protest.

    Locals accused Tamu District Battalions 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, overseen by Military Region 1 Administration under the resistance-run National Unity Government (NUG), of conscripting residents through various methods.

    “The public can no longer tolerate this. Boys are being forcibly drafted against their will. In some places, they lie in wait and abduct locals. Even taxi bikers are not spared. Worst of all, men working in their fields are also being targeted. If people try to run away, warning shots are fired to intimidate them. That is why people have taken to the streets to protest,” said a local.

    Then, officers from Tamu District battalions took six protest leaders, reportedly for discussions, but released them a few hours later.

    “The public demanded the release of family members arrested for conscription and called for assurances that similar incidents would not happen again. An official from the Military Region 1 Administration said the issue would be resolved within an hour and took several protest leaders away,” the source added.

    Involuntary conscription in resistance-controlled areas including towns such as Khampat and Kanan in Tamu District, as well as villages where protests are now taking place began in November 2025, and has now escalated, prompting residents to take to the streets.

    Khonumthung News is still attempting to reach the Tamu District battalions under Military Region 1 Administration for comment on these developments.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    BNRA leader Bo Nagar defects to junta

    Junta kills nearly 1,200 Chin people since coup, including almost 500 youths

    Chin resistance attacks junta reinforcement column in Falam, inflicting casualties

    Comments are closed.

    • Featured Article
    June 6, 2025

    “The people of Paletwa must work to ensure that human rights violations do not happen again. I want to say that it is essential to closely monitor the armed groups in our area and to speak the truth.” Reverend Pastor U Lo Dain

    April 19, 2025

    “At present, town cleanup and area clearance operations are still underway in Falam. Entry into the area is strictly prohibited, with only armed groups participating in the clearance efforts for security reasons. So far, there has been no response from the military council.” Salai Timmy – CNO/CNDF spokesperson

    November 12, 2024

    Education of Myanmar Refugees in India: A Path to Hope and Challenges:

    August 26, 2024

    Escalating Conflict in Chin State: The Urgent Need for Unified Mediation Efforts

    Ads
    Leaderboard Ad
    Archives
    Copyright © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL.
    © 2015 Khonumthung News Group. Design & Developed by ExL

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.